**Cuso International covers the majority of placement costs (transportation including flight costs, living expenses, accommodation, health benefits).
The role :
Huam Jai Asasamak (“United in Volunteering”, or HJA) provides opportunities for Lao youth to work as volunteers for twelve months with selected partner organizations engaged in community work, and so gain skills and experience they can use for both their own and their communities’ growth and development.
You will :
1. Business case analysis, small enterprise development training with staff and community members.
2. Training in basic book keeping, profit and loss and business management.
3. Training of HJA staff in market assessment techniques, value chain development and SME development strategies including :
- Sub-sector selection and mapping
- Stakeholder survey and analysis of socio -economics situation, governance, access to information, policy and practice
- Business service mapping and liaison
- Value chain development and overlays for volumes and simplified gross margins
- Value chain upgrading strategies, product development and marketing.
- Capacity building in product development, marketing and promotion.
- Project and small business enterprise implementation planning
4. Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
- Assist in running at least one promotional event for HJA with other stakeholders and potential sponsors and supporters in Laos
- Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
Essential Academic Qualifications
- Degree in Business Management & Administration, Economics or other relevant qualification
Essential Professional Background/Competencies
- Experience in business management, especially with small to medium enterprises.
- Experience in product development and marketing
- Experience of undertaking market analysis or market assessments.
- Experience with supply chain management or value chain development
English reading=5, writing=5, oral=5
For some roles, additional language training is provided free of charge.
To learn more about our language level assessment, please visit cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
For more information about the role and the partner organization, please click on the URL included in this posting.
Important information for candidates
Only open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
Cuso International covers the following costs :
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- Modest living allowance while overseas
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- The cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while overseas and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and in-country training orientation
Fundraising : We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
E-volunteering : Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
The International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) is part of the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy, which provides Canadian youth with the tools and experience they need to launch successful careers.
The IYIP is designed to offer Canadian post-secondary graduates the opportunity to gain professional experience through international development work. The IYIP intern must :
- Be post-secondary graduate ; graduate of a degree or diploma program in a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CEGEP (Collège d’enseignement général et professionnel, Québec). The candidate who is enrolled in, but has not yet completed, post-secondary studies is not eligible ;
- Be between the age of 19 and 30 at the time of final selection ;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident ;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada and ;
- Have not previously participated in Global Affairs Canada’s IYIP.
The IYIP volunteer will be matched with an e-mentor who will provide strategic support and guidance with their placement through online tools, e.g. email, skype (pre-departure, in-service and post-return).
About Cuso International
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. We envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. We believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for our actions and proactively demonstrate that we work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world. We currently have programs in eighteen countries.