Position title : Global HR Specialist
Position location : Ottawa
Reports to : Director, Human Resources and Organizational Services
Start date : ASAP
Application deadline : Until filled
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development organization currently working in 22 countries worldwide with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and engagement. Globally, WUSC works with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that can be leveraged to support our work.
Nature and Scope :
The Global HR Specialist will support the Director of Human Resources and Organizational Services (Director, HR&OS) in overall HR strategy, legal and procedural compliance, and talent management in Canada and internationally. The Global HR Specialist will be part of a collaborative team, partnering with, and providing support to, managers in terms of workforce planning, talent management, talent acquisition, employee wellness, total rewards and learning and development. She/he will also provide support to ensure compliance with international and national labor laws in countries where WUSC operates, help research and analyze trends in global and local compensation and total rewards, and assist in drafting and managing contracts for local employees, and local and international consultants.
More specifically, the Global HR Specialist will :
- Support an integrated talent management program to attract, develop, motivate and retain productive and engaged employees
- Support managers in assessing and anticipating HR related needs
- Oversee and actively participate in staffing processes
- Oversee onboarding and induction plans
- Provide guidance and support the performance management process
- Develop and deliver strategic training and development programs
- Track and deliver legislated and Code of Conduct training for all new hires and annual renewals
- Actively promote the maintenance of a positive and supportive work culture
- Facilitate activities that build and enhance employee engagement and retention
- Ensure organizational compliance with internal policies, Canadian (provincial and federal) legislation, and relevant local and international legislation
- Assist the Director in contracting for local field and international assignments, support matters pertaining to employment laws, mobilization, visa, compensation and benefits, mandatory contributions/deductions, reporting, HR policies and terms and conditions
- Work collaboratively with members of HR and Organizational Services team
- Provide support and contribute in other areas as needed.
- Seven or more years of experience in an HR position with strong skills in talent management : talent acquisition, training & development, performance management, and regulatory and legal compliance
- Knowledge of other HR areas such as HR policies, systems and processes, employee wellbeing/counselling, classification, compensation and benefits, is a strong asset
- Strong understanding of provincial and federal labour laws ; knowledge of diverse labour laws of other countries is a strong asset
- Understanding of international development and NGO environments
- Outstanding collaborative, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency in Google systems, MS Office and experience with applicant tracking systems
- Strong organizational and time-management abilities
- Aptitude for problem-solving and decision-making
- Impeccable integrity and reliability
- Ability to develop creative and innovative ideas that effectively position the organization
Languages : Fluency in English/French spoken and written is essential.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience, all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please followthis link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.