Position title : Program Assistant, Operations Uniterra Program
Position Location : Ottawa
Reports to : Program Officer, Volunteer Contract Management for Uniterra
Start date : ASAP
Deadline : February 4th, 2018
The Uniterra international volunteer program aims to contribute to poverty reduction and sustainable development through national and regional sectoral approaches in 14 developing countries with the support of 3,000 volunteers. The program focuses on sustainable economic growth for the youth and women. The Uniterra program is jointly operated by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC). Under supervision of the Program Officer, Volunteer Contract Management, the Program Assistant, Operations will be responsible for 1) logistical administration for departing and returning Canadian volunteers and Southern volunteers during their missions to Canada and 2) support in organizing the volunteer pre-departure trainings.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY :
The Operations Program Assistant will be responsible for :
Contributing to the management of the Unit :
- Coordinate contracts and amendments to contracts ;
- obtain contractual signatures in support of the Program Officer Administration and Contract Management ;
- Process office supply orders and maintain inventory for the Uniterra program ;
- Distribute and send correspondence to field offices (courier) ;
- Ensure up to date and organized filing for the Unit ;
- Organize the Unit coordination meetings, draft and distribute the meeting minutes, and support the Coordinator with any meeting follow-ups ;
- Help to improve and create new systems and tools for volunteer management ;
- Supervise and train new employees in the Unit as needed ;
- Translate from French to English ;
- Update documentations on a regular basis.
Volunteer logistics and administration :
- Ensure pre-departure administrative and logistical preparations for Canadian volunteers and thematic seminar participants, including organizing travel (i.e. tickets, entry visas), registration to group insurance plans, etc. for WUSC Uniterra volunteers, Leave for Change volunteers, Students Without Borders (SWB) and any other volunteer whose logistics and administrative processes are managed by the Uniterra program ;
- Ensure the administrative and logistical preparations for Southern volunteers including registration to insurance plans as required ;
- Submit and maintain the monthly requests for monthly allowances for volunteers and others are required ;
- Draft administrative correspondence ; Process volunteers’ requisitions, bills and requests for reimbursements.
Supporting the organization of pre-departure orientations and debriefing sessions :
- Organize the logistics for volunteer pre-departure orientations hosted at WUSC or CECI, or other venues as well as the debriefing sessions ( travel arrangements, lodging, meals, finding intercultural resources to present the module, translators, return volunteers ) ;
- Present the Volunteer Standards and Policies module during pre-departure orientation sessions at WUSC or CECI as needed ;
- Welcome volunteers and persons participating to the intercultural modules and be the focal point during the training session.
- College diploma in business administration. Equivalent experience could be considered ;
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in administrative support ;
- Experience in coordinating logistics and drafting texts ;
- Experience in office management and knowledge of information technologies ;
- Adherence to the values of Gender equality and Uniterra’s values ;
- Bilingual English/French (fluency essential) ;
- Available to work the occasional weekend.
Will be considered an asset :
- Experience in international cooperation ;
- Knowledge of Spanish.
Organizational competencies :
- Strong organizational skills.
Interpersonal competencies :
Group work, interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, information management ; Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Personal Competencies :
Analytical, Autonomous, time and priority management, thoroughness and accuracy, responsibility, adaptability, patience, diplomacy, creativity and innovation.
WUSC is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to building a more equitable and sustainable world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, private-sector partners and volunteers to provide education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
The WUSC office centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.