COUNTRY : Jordan
ASSIGNMENT LOCATION (CITY) : Amman
CONTRACT DURATION : 2 years (with possibility of extension)
START DATE : June 2017
The Partnership Advisor will work closely with all of Oxfam’s partners in Jordan, and will provide technical support more specifically to the PAI’s partners in Jordan.
Oxfam-Québec is part of Oxfam International, which is a world-wide confederation of organisations working for change and development and responding to humanitarian needs in more than 120 countries. Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty. Hundreds of thousands of supporters and volunteers make up our international network of concern, action and solidarity.
Oxfam’s overall programme in Jordan simultaneously responds to the immediate humanitarian needs of populations affected by the ongoing conflict in neighbouring Syria and seeks to address underlying inequalities impacting women and girls, youth, refugees and other marginalised segments of society. Building partnerships with local civil society and authorities and working to influence decision-makers at local, regional and international levels are fundamental to Oxfam’s holistic approach.
The Access Innovation Programme (PAI, under its French acronym), funded by the Canadian government and administered through Oxfam-Québec, is deploying over 700 professional Technical Advisors to 11 countries between 2015 and 2020 to help build the capacity of around 100 local partners in sustainable economic growth and food security, gender justice, youth participation and environmental sustainability as well as bolster their organisational development and staff skills. In Jordan, the programme focuses on strengthening the economic empowerment of women and youth, preventing gender-based discrimination and violence, and promoting equitable water governance.
The post holder will be responsible for the management and implementation of the PAI in Jordan. As such, he/she will allocate human, financial and material resources available toward the program’s objectives as defined in Oxfam-Québec’s global agreement with Global Affairs Canada and in Oxfam’s country strategy for Jordan, ensure compliance with donor requirements in the delivery of planning and reporting documents, and develop projects and partnerships in line with Oxfam’s programs and the PAI’s specific areas of expertise in Jordan.
More specifically, the PAI Manager will :
• Lead the recruitment and induction, and jointly supervise and appraise the performance of each Technical Advisor composing the PAI team in Jordan, in close coordination with Oxfam in Jordan and Oxfam-Québec, following a matrix management approach ;
• Develop and monitor the PAI’s budget in Jordan, with the support of the PAI’s Finance Officer in Jordan ;
• Ensure sound management of small grants to local partners for innovative initiatives ;
• Oversee the effective use of monitoring and evaluation tools and the timely submission of quality financial and narrative reports to Oxfam-Québec/Global Affairs Canada ;
• Maintain and develop a network of partnership and alliances with local organisations and institutions in line with the PAI and Oxfam in Jordan’s country strategy ;
• Facilitate missions to Jordan from Oxfam-Québec support staff or Canadian partners engaged with the PAI ; foster exchanges and expertise transfers between partners in Canada and Jordan ;
• Actively take part, in coordination with the Oxfam country team in Jordan, in the implementation and monitoring of Oxfam’s Country Strategy, Country Operating Model and other documents steering the organisation’s structural transformation towards the One-Oxfam model to be reached in 2020 ;
• Maximise opportunities where PAI activities, projects or partnerships also benefit Oxfam’s broader national or regional programmes ;
• Oversee and facilitate the increasing integration of PAI team members and ways of working with Oxfam’s country office in Jordan and it’s thematic sub-teams ;
• Under the supervision of Oxfam’s Country Director, represent Oxfam-Québec in meetings with representatives of the Government of Canada in Jordan ; upon request, participate in meetings or external events with national and international development actors ;
• Participate in resource mobilisation efforts that serve Oxfam’s Country Strategy and the PAI’s priorities in Jordan : monitor funding opportunities, support the drafting of project proposals and contribute to the negotiation of project agreements with relevant donors, partners and Oxfam affiliates.
Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent resident status.
• University degree in management, administration, international development, international relations, industrial relations, community organisation any other relevant field
• At least (5) years of experience in program and project management in the field of international development
• At least three (3) years of experience in team management and coordination.
INTERNATIONAL AND IN-COUNTRY WORK EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of Jordan and the Middle East context
• Understanding of international development issues,
• Positive attitude and strong problem-solving abilities.
• Sound decision-making, analytical, and conceptual skills ; proactive information gathering.
• Demonstrated ability to manage workflows and balance competing priorities.
• Commitment to a rights-based approach and gender equality.
• Ability to foster teamwork and to build relationship.
• Capacity to bring people together and work towards a common goal.
• Ability to thrive in team environments, with a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures.
• Experience in providing capacity building support.
• Arabic language skills desirable.
• Proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) as well as Skype.
LANGUAGE(S) OF WORK
• Advanced proficiency in English, both oral and written
• Full understanding of French, both oral and written
• Strong commitment to Oxfam-Quebec’s mission and values, including the promotion of gender justice
• Inclusive leadership
• Diplomacy and discernment
• Capacity to work in a team
• Independence and initiative
• Capacity to work under pressure
• Monthly allowance based on the cost of living in the country of assignment ;
• Increase of the monthly allowance for up to 2 accompanying persons ;
• Tuition fees for children ;
• Round trip flight.
• Travel, life and disability insurance ;
• Allowance for housing ;
• Re-settlement allowance upon return in Canada.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested in this position ? Please apply by submitting your resume and a letter of interest to :
Be sure to specify the job title and country of assignment in the subject line (e.g. Program coordinator – Jordan).
Oxfam-Québec is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected will be contacted.