Title : Senior Program Officer (C-EFE)
Classification : Program Staff III
Supervisor : Manager of Operations, International Partnerships Division
Division : International Partnerships
Date : August 15, 2012
PLEASE REFER TO COMPETITION NUMBER : 2012-09
The International Partnerships Division has an opening for a full-time Senior Program Officer (C-EFE).
The Education for Employment (EFE) program, funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), facilitates the participation of Canadian colleges and institutions in supporting and building capacity for increased employment and entrepreneurship. This is achieved through the provision of technical assistance to developing country partners in the development of results-based education and training systems.
The Senior Program Officer (SPO) is primarily responsible for supporting the development, implementation and management of complex activities, primarily related to the EFE, including the development of work plans, budgets, research, reports/briefs, preparation and delivery of presentations and the coordination of day-to-day work within the ACCC international team and EFE programs. The SPO will play a leadership, support and problem solving role with member institutions, partners, senior officials, funding agencies and staff. This position will focus primarily on activities in support of the CIDA-sponsored Caribbean Education for Employment (C-EFE) program that is working with 12 countries within the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).
General Expectations : The Senior Program Officer is expected to :
- Play a leadership, support and problem solving role with member institutions, partners and ACCC staff,
- Function with a significant level of flexibility and autonomy,
- Perform various and complex tasks of a responsible and professional nature,
- Take decisions that contribute to the long-term sustainability of planned results of projects and programs assigned,
- Ability to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently,
- Work effectively within a team environment,
- Assist in the preparation of reports for CIDA,
- Provide support and training to Canadian Senior Technical Advisors (STAs) based in the Caribbean, team members and member institutions,
- Troubleshoot, as required, and provide innovative problem solving,
- Work under pressure with excellent attention to detail,
- Travel within Canada and, occasionally, overseas.
Specific Expectations : The Senior Program Officer will :
- Participate in the development, planning, implementation and management of activities supporting the EFE program.
- Develop and manage a large number of complex inter-related Canadian and Caribbean institutional partnerships and coordinate the work flow associated with assigned tasks, in particular provide guidance, planning and operational support to member institutions, CIDA, associated staff and consultants.
- Participate in the development and drafting of annual work plans, budgets, analytical reports, handbooks, training manuals, workshop materials and other documents with the Senior Technical Advisors and Canadian college partners.
- Develop and implement various tools to be used by Canadian member institutions.
- Support the development and lead the use of the regional vocational technical information system (VTIS).
- Develop and monitor budgets and financial reports.
- Coordinate study tours and the recruitment of consultants.
- Assist in the development of selection, orientation, monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Prepare consultant contracts.
- Conduct research, including obtaining information, searching records, briefs and presentations.
- Support the development of programs using competency based approaches.
- Participate in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and strategies.
- Write proposals and concept papers that are complementary to C-EFE.
- Maintain contact with funders, embassies, related government sectors in Canada and overseas partners.
- Promote and market the role and expertise of the membership and of ACCC, and the opportunities for member participation in various phases of programs.
- Assist in the development of strategies leading to co-funding for new projects.
- Support and report to the Manager of Operations, International Partnerships Division.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- Graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution or equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated competence in the planning, implementation and administration of projects and programs funded by CIDA and other donors.
- Demonstrated ability in budget development and management.
- Experience in the preparation of work plans, reports and budgets.
- Demonstrated experience with current CIDA results-based management (RBM) requirements.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal abilities.
- Sound knowledge of the Canadian college and institutional system.
- Demonstrated experience in the area of capacity building and training.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the Federal government, in particular, CIDA.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of partner and country lead collaborative approaches that address local community needs.
- Experience in strategic planning, preferably as it relates to project and program management.
- Demonstrated research, analytical and writing abilities, particularly in the writing of reports, concept papers and proposals for CIDA and other donors.
- Ability to work within a team environment and recommend results-based solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in French.
- Work experience with Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- Work experience in the Caribbean.
- Experience managing projects in a college, Cégep or institute.
- International experience.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Jennifer McCooeye, Personnel Officer by August 23, 2012.